Cultural Awareness Home
This app is designed to provide some guidance on delivering culturally competent care for all our patients. It has been designed to flag up some of the issues that might be important to consider when working with patients and carers from different backgrounds to help you meet any cultural or religious needs they might have. Please do take every opportunity to get these conversations started – if in doubt, ask!
Top 5 questions to consider with service users:>
- Do you have any dietary requirements? We have halal, vegetarian and kosher options and can make sure that we only give you medications that are free from animal products and alcohol.
- Will you need to pray at particular times? Will you need a room, or any equipment or support with that?
- Are there any holy days or celebrations that you will need to observe while you are here? Is there anything we can do to support you with that?
- Would it be ok for me/this male/female member of staff to examine/help/treat you?
- Is there anything you need us to know about what you are wearing? If there is anything you need to keep on/prefer not to remove/don’t want us to touch, please let us know.
If you have any further questions, or there is anything you think is missing from this app, please contact Katie Parker, Katie.email@example.com, or see our intranet area.